Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dress Update

Just a quick update on the dress progress.  I picked up the dress and the new sewing machine from my mom yesterday.  Last night when I got home, I was very excited to start working on the project again to see some progress!  Well I sewed up one seam (which was just the black material) and that worked great.  So, now I have a dress that is attached at the top, and on one side.  The side with the sleeve is still open (I’ll take some pictures tonight).  Then I pinned up the other side and sat down to sew.  Well, I got about 2-3 inches of the sleeve sewn together (the sequin-y material) and things started to go wrong again.  Ugh!  Really?! Come on, I’m trying to be frugal here!  The universe is just not with me on this one apparently!

Ok, so I gave up for the night, not wanting to completely resent sewing forever because of this dress.  Then I went online to try to see if anyone else in the online world had an issue with this fabric.  I searched and searched and didn’t really find anything that helped.  Then I had a light bulb moment.  I went on to the Joann website and found that fabric.  Luckily about 14 other people had left comments on their experience using this fabric!  Woohoo!!  Finally J

After reading the reviews and realizing that (thankfully) I’m not a sewing reject, the one common theme with all of these reviews was to use something called Sewers Aid.  It’s basically a silicon based oil that you can put on the needle, the thread, the foot of the machine…just about anywhere.  It helps keep the needle slick so that the glue (used to glue on the sequins to the material) does not gum up on the needle.   My mom (have I mentioned how amazing she is??) picked some up at Joann’s today and is coming over tonight to help me one last time.  I’m crossing my fingers that this is the miracle product to help solve my crisis!  Hah, I’m so dramatic J  Please cross your fingers for me!!  More updates to come…hopefully happy ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment